The Best Baby Shower Gifts and How Much to Spend
Are you after the perfect baby shower gift and have no idea how much to spend on them?
Knowing how much to spend and what to buy depends on your budget and how well you know the mom-to-be.
Buying a baby shower gift is much more thoughtful and personal than other gifts. You need to take into consideration what will relieve the stress levels of new parents, make new family memories, and teach the baby new skills. The whole process can be tricky to navigate due to the constant improvements and changes to baby accessories.
So, how do you know what to buy and how to much spend? It really comes down to three categories. Once you know where you fit in, you can make a more educated decision on these important factors.
Are you a Close Family Member or Close Friend of the Parents?
Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your crew. This baby shower is going to be something special for you. There be many familiar faces. But more importantly, you’ll want to get a gift that is beneficial and personal.
If you’re a family member or close friend, the amount you spend on a baby gift will depend entirely on your budget. Anything from $50 is considered adequate. But, spending anything up to $200 is ok too. It depends on how closely related you are to the parents.
Whatever you decide to spend, try to buy something that balances between what the parents have on the gift-registry, and something unique. This will help them remember what you bought for the baby and will be a fond memory.
Here are 5 ideal gift ideas for family members, or close friends:
- Crib Mattress: Getting the right crib mattress that is safe and comfortable should be the biggest priority for parents. However, it is also one of the pricier items. This is the perfect gift for family members and close friends to go in on and buy together. We highly recommend a breathe-through crib mattress because of its safety ratings.
- Stroller Accessories: There are so many accessories out there for strollers that are handy. Find out what stroller the parents have or want and purchase some of the accessories.
- Breast Pump Kit: This is a personal gift that can be costly. Find out what the parents already have and purchase the accessories. Or you could buy the entire breast pump bundle. The bundle includes bottles and storage bags. This may be a gift you buy as a group also.
- Baby Carrier: This item is so convenient and handy. A baby carrier can get a lot of use. Consequently, make sure you do some research as there are many great ones out there.
- Baby Bag with Accessories: This handy bag has all the bells and whistles. Pockets, zips, waterproof areas, and the best ones have different ways they can be carried. Why not purchase a beautiful bag. Then, fill it with diapers, creams, pacifiers and other essentials that are needed in a baby bag?
Are you a Friend or Distant Relative?
If you are a friend or a distant relative, spending somewhere between $40 – $80 is sufficient. If you fall into this category, ask yourself how well you know the parents-to-be. This should help you to come up with some baby shower gift options that are both personal and creative.
Check out the gift-registry first if the parents-to-be have created one. Buying something from here is a safe bet. You will know that it is something the parents want.
You can always add a personal touch when you go to purchase the gift from the registry. Adding in a nice book or baby journal is a great addition that adds that personal touch.
Here are 5 ideal gift ideas for friends and distant family members:
- Diaper Cake: Every new parent needs a stack of diapers. Why not create a diaper cake as a feature piece at the baby shower?
- Bath time Bundle: This is another cute idea. Simply purchase the baby bath and fill it with all baby bath products. Towels, wash cloths, lotions etc.
- Gift Cards: if you’re not sure what to buy, a gift card for the baby store is a great idea. That way the parents can go out and purchase what they need.
- Clothing and Swaddle pack including nursing shirts: You can’t go wrong with baby clothes. Opt for clothing that are for that 6-month mark. Most will buy for the newborn stage and often the next growth stage is forgotten about. Swaddles or nursing shirts for mom-to-be won’t go astray either.
- Postpartum Recovery Kits: No one likes to talk about it, but every new mom will need a recovery kit. From maternity pads to disposable undies, pjs and self-care items are a great addition to any recovery kit.
Are you a Client, Work Colleague or Acquaintance?
If you know the parents but not well enough to pick something personal, you can still show your support and excitement about their new bundle of joy. If you fall into this category, anywhere between $25 to $60 is satisfactory when spending money on a baby shower gift.
In this case, opting for something unique and extremely useful will be valuable. This shows you’ve put thought into the gift and appreciate being part of their baby shower day. Buying cheap toys from a cheap store is not recommended. And remember, stuffed animals can trap germs and cause allergies.
Instead buy something little from a more reputable store. It doesn’t matter the size of the gift here, but the thought that went into it.
Here are 5 ideal gift ideas for clients, work colleagues and acquaintances:
- Journal or Baby Book: This is a cute purchase that is completely personal. It’s something new parents often forget but having something they can note down the stages and changes of baby is a great keepsake.
- Fully packed Baby Caddy: A fully equipped caddy can do wonders for new parents as they struggle with the daily diaper and clothing changes for baby. Having everything available in one caddy at their side will be something they will thank you for.
- Diapers: Parents of newborns will be buying more diapers than they realize. So, stocking them up is something they will thank you for in the future.
- Milestones: These cute little accessories make for great photos and perfect keepsakes.
- Educational toys: Books and music are educational and stimulating for babies and the parents will thank you for your thoughtful gift.
It is entirely up to you what you want to spend on the baby shower gift. Any thought that goes into it will make it the perfect gift and the parents will appreciate the gesture.
If you want to make that little bit more effort however, when the baby is born, why not cook something up and drop it off to the parents. They will appreciate the thoughtful effort. But, just remember to drop and go as the last thing they will want to do is entertain.
Find out our top ten picks that make a thoughtful baby shower gift.