Company Name: Safe Sleep Partners, LLC
Investors: Abby Milagros Initiative, LLC, Karow Partners, LLC, and private investors
# Employees: 10
Headquarters: Detroit, Michigan
Founded: January 2019 (Secure Beginnings, LLC founded June 2010)
Founder: Julie Andreae
SafeSleep® has transformed the crib mattress into a safety device. Our revolutionary completely breathe-through crib mattress was created in 2009. A utility patent was received in 2013. The SafeSleep® Breathe-Through Crib Mattress has undergone extensive lab testing. This testing reveals, the SafeSleep® Breathe-through Crib Mattress is a SAFER alternative to conventional and organic mattresses. The SafeSleep® Breathe-Through Crib Mattress does not contain the traditional “fill” of a conventional or even an organic mattress. Baby is actually sleeping on an “open celled” topper that is suspended over a hollow box with vented sides which creates constant airflow.
Our revolutionary design enables a baby who ends up in the face straight down position to breathe freely through the mattress. Air enters and exits the side openings of our crib mattress and travels up and down through the open celled topper. This patented circulating airflow design also reduces overheating, resulting in a safer, uninterrupted sleep for baby. The SafeSleep® Breathe-through Crib Mattress is the first crib mattress to have a sleep topper that is easily removable and entirely machine washable, offering a hygienically superior sleep environment for baby.
Prior to 2009, the crib mattress design had remained unchanged for decades!
SafeSleep® History and Partners:
SafeSleep Technologies was born out of a small start-up company, Secure Beginnings. The two principle owners of Secure Beginnings shared the patent for the breathe-through design and after several years, the owners parted ways in 2017 due to differences in management styles and future goals for the company. One of the principle owners Julie Andreae, a successful businesswoman and her sister, Dr. Margie Andreae, an established pediatrician, shared firsthand the devastation of losing a niece to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and remained committed to the mission of creating sleep products that would reduce infant sleep-related deaths. They developed an expertise on infant sleep surfaces and worked with members of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Safe Sleep Task Force to include information on the benefits of air permeable infant sleep surfaces in the AAP’s Safe Sleep Technical Report.
In 2020, Julie and Margie partnered with Dave Karow and his brother Chris Karow to create SafeSleep Technologies. Dave had experienced the loss of his daughter Abby at 7 months of age when she was found unresponsive napping at an in-home daycare facility. As the Karows pieced together the facts of the incident, they discovered that the sleep surface on which she had been placed was a suffocation hazard. Surprisingly, existing safety standards didn’t address the risk of a child rolling over onto the loosely fitting non air-permeable fabric the manufacturer used for that sleep surface. A jury awarded the Karows a multi-million dollar settlement against the manufacturer, finding that the sleep surface was the cause of Abby’s death. The Karows vowed to draw on those funds to improve infant sleep safety, forming the Abby Milagros Initiative. After researching options to address the inherent hazards in the traditional infant sleep surface design, the Karows chose to work with the Andreaes based on their shared experience, passion and product design. In 2020, Dave provided working capital and recruited his brother Chris, a retired Ernst & Young partner, to scale up the Andreaes’ business and SafeSleep Technologies was born.
The SafeSleep™ Breathe-through Crib Mattress
- Allows baby to freely breathe through their mattress while reducing overheating and sweating for a safer, more comfortable, uninterrupted sleep.
- Firm, comfort-contour topper design alleviates positional pressure associated with skull deformities.
- Only completely breathe-through crib mattress that physicians and respiratory therapists write prescriptions for infants who must tummy sleep for health reasons.
- Machine washable topper prevents accumulation and growth of harmful bacteria, germs, and allergens. Bed Bugs don’t stand a chance of survival.
- Contains no harmful toxins, nano-coatings, or out gassing unlike conventional and organic mattresses.
- Eco-friendly and organic materials, made from recycled materials and is recyclable.
- Available in 3 base colors, with 6 sleep surface colors to choose from. MSRP $299
Instructions for Use:
- Load base into any standard size crib like you would a conventional mattress. The base rests on the mattress platform just like a normal crib mattress.
- Lift the two spring loaded u-shaped bars.
- Remove the open celled topper from packaging and unzip the topper.
- Place the topper around the u-shaped bars.
- Zip the topper closed.
- Press the back bar down first to lock in place.
- Next, press the front bar down to lock in place.
Julie Andreae, SafeSleep® – 586.219.7112